I came across a memo I had written to our team back in 2005. Within that memo, I was addressing what I, as the Leader, expected from my team and had inserted this statement from an unknown author...
The memo I wrote was as follows:
+++++++++++++++++++++ Beg of Memo ++++++++++++++++++++++++
As business picks up it will be more important than ever for each member of our team to know, understand and carry out what is expected of them from our clients, our peers and our team leaders. Doing so will allow everyone to better balance work and life as well as ensure our clients are getting what we promised them they would.
Every person's effort at NovoLogic directly affects every other person. As most of you know, my management/leadership style is very entrepreneurial and hands off, and I expect all team members to perform with enthusiasm, integrity, and initiative. Take ownership in what you do and the company, after all your success is the cornerstone of the company's success and vice versa. I can not stress it enough, every person's effort at NovoLogic directly affects every other person here, either in a positive or negative way.
Our General focus for the Next 6 months is the following:
- Get deeper and wider into existing client accounts - Make them feel like they would not know what to do without us.
- Develop better in-house training through cross training, personnel rotation on existing projects, and a formal "get started" program as well as ongoing "knowledge sharing sessions"
- Continue to improve our systems to make it easier for new personnel to get started and reducing potential for errors by new and experienced personnel
- Improve communication on Project Status and Expectations between the Client and Project Teams.
My Expectations for Each of you
- Above all else, do what you promise and only promise what you can do.
- Take pride in your work
- Take ownership in your work, clients and office resources.
- Your work schedule needs to be relatively consistent
- Communicate your work schedule and location to your team members, managers and client. If location or hours of availability change, notify them immediately upon determining this.
- Keep a written timeline and list of things you are supposed to be working on and communicate this to your team members and project manage.
- Provide team members and project manager a daily status update of tasks accomplished, tasks not accomplished and action plan for getting them resolved.
- Enter Time for work performed into the Project Master Database daily.
- If an assignment is unclear or confusing, ask peer or manager for clarification immediately. Do not continue to work on the task blindly or in a state of uncertainty. If manager or peer is not readily available, move on to next task, after sending notification via phone call or email to manager about the confusion on the task.
- On all assignments, get it done with the least possible effort first, then revisit to make it solid and perfect, if time allotted for task allows.
- As soon as it becomes evident that a task is not going to get accomplished in the time or with the quality promised, communicate this to your team members and managers. If you are the one responsible for communicating with the client then let them know as well.
- Prepare for and perform your duties in a professional manner.
- Communicate in a Professional Manner.
- If you need Help, ASK! Ask often and early.
+++++++++++++++++++++ End of Memo ++++++++++++++++++++++++
Maybe this memo will be an inspiration to you the reader or can be used to inspire your team to become the best they can be.