When looking to register a domain name for your company or product keep in mind that the name itself is important to both your potential consumers but also to search engines.
Matt Cutts (head of Google's Web Spam team) has publicly stated (Pub Con and elsewhere) that Google looks at a number of variables when assessing a Domain for Search Rankings:
- Age of Domain (how long as the current owner owned the domain)
- History of domain (has it been bought and sold over and over, or has the server IP address changed frequently)
- Key Words in domain name
- Is it a Sub domain or root domain?
- TLD of Domain (is it a .com, .org, .gov, .net, or lower level domain type)
- IP address of domain (what organization, ISP is the IP address associated with)
- Location of IP address / Server (what country is the physical server located in)