Google recently purchased GrandCentral a company who was creating an offering to allow homeless people in the SF area to have a stationary phone number that could follow them anywhere they happened to land.
With GrandCentral, you can be reached with a single number, answer a call at any phone you want, seamlessly switch phones in the middle of a call, and even know whether a call is important before you take it.
- Check your messages by phone, email, or online
- Keep all your messages online for eternity
- Record and store your phone calls (just like voicemail)
- Quickly (and secretly) block an annoying caller
- Click-to-dial from your address book
- Surprise your callers with a custom voicemail greeting
- Forward, download, and add notes to your messages
and Yes, in traditional google style this is being offered for FREE
It will be very interesting to see how they plan to to turn this into a revenue stream and where else they branch out into next? Fax? Cellular? Maybe even competing for entratinment dollars with TV/Video on Demand?